Search This Blog

Monday, July 21, 2014

Rajasthani Bati

Introduction:

It’s more then a year since I am away from my lovely blog. Actually I was busy with exploring the new city, new work, new hobbies and new people . So was not getting enough time to come back on my blog. Well now, as I’m well settled with my new workplace, The colours of the vibrant city has started leaving its tints on me & my personality & of course on  my food habits….Well Mumbai is always a ‘yeah’. Just loving it.

So As I’m back, I’m again in a full mood to revive my blog and bring back those tasty days to my this virtual home. So here comes the comeback recipe, the very popular, traditional, delicious Rajasthani Dal-Bati. Since I’m from jaipur, Dal-Bati is always a favourite food in my house and prepared on almost every special occasion but till now I have never tried my hands to prepare bati as my mother usually do that…but This time I gave it a second thought and tried my hands on and yipeeeeeeeeee. It came out absolutely yum and I felt the appetite for it again on the very next day…Well I almost ate my mom’s head on phone for getting the recipe and every bit of details..hahaha.. So Here comes the recipe and the special Dal recipe is given in my next post otherwise the post will be quite long.

Ingredients:

Wheat flour: 2 cups (sieved)


Milk: 1 cup
Milk cream (Malai): 1 tsp
Desi Ghee: 2 tsp + 1 cup (for dough + for dipping)
Salt: 2 tsp or as required
Carom seeds: 1 tsp
Water: for kneading (lukewarm)

Serves: 2 persons

Preparation time: 10-15 mins

Cooking time: 20-30 mins

 
Method:

For preparing the dough, Take wheat flour in a bowl. Add carom seeds, ghee, salt and malai to it. Mix the ingredients and rub the flour between your palms to smooth the contents.
 
Now add milk and start kneading the flour. Add some water and knead it. The dough should not be too tight or too runny. It should feel soft when pressed between palms. Rub some Desi Ghee on the kneaded dough and cover it and keep aside for 5-10 mins.

Meanwhile put the gas oven on flame. The oven should be kept hot while putting in the Bati to roast. So keep the flame on medium and heat the oven for 5 minutes.

Divide the dough into 5-6 equal sized balls. Make them in shape of ladoo and press slightly between your palms.

Place the balls in the heated gas oven keeping sufficient space among balls. And put the flame on low. Cover and let them cook for one side for 10 mins.

After 10 mins, flip the half roasted Batis and let them cook for another 10 mins from the other side.

After 10 mins, check the batis. They will be having light brown shade and some black spots randomly. If you feel the batis are not done yet, then you may cook them for some more time.

Heat 1 cup of ghee in a sauce pan. Dip the hot roasted batis in the Ghee and press them with help of a laddle. This ensures that the ghee enters inside the batis.

Serve the ghee coated Batis with the special Rajasthani Pachmel Dal, Kadhi, Gatte ki sabzi and Green Chilli pickle.


Note:

  1. If you are in a habit of extracting ghee from the milk cream, then the left over mawa of milk cream can be added to the dough instead of milk. I tried this and the Batis came out amazing.
  2. You may boil the batis first before roasting them to make ‘Bafla Bati’.
  3. You may even fry the Batis instead of roasting them but this will be more heavy as on diet part.
  4. Why not try different kind of stuffing inside the batis to make it more healthy and delicious like Veggie, paneer, soya nuggets etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment